Sunday, August 29, 2010

Catchin' for Kids, and Catching Up

8-29-10
This post seems to have a common theme (searching for redemption after a tough Saturday).  I hit some local water with the president of TKAA Mark Lozier and his girlfriend Kris.  It was a beautiful morning on the water and the company was second to none (thanks guys)!  On the way to our morning destination, Mark hooked up with a nice red (approx 26-27'').  Working the water and the incoming tide, Kris hooked up with a mid 20" red.  I am feeling the pressure now.  Next thing I know Kris has a nice red on again.  This one was 27 1/2".  All fish were over the VA slot size of 26".  It is nice to have these quality fish in the area!

On another note, Mark is a pro staffer for a number of different companies as well as a local guide.  Mark gave me some plastics and corks form a company called Marsh Works.  Their products are sweet.  The plastics have a nice shape (Bayou Thumper, and the Killa Squilla) and are durable.  One of my favorite presentations for reds are throwing spinnerbaits with paddle tails.  The problem I have with other baits is the plastics ride down to the bend of the hook.  The Marsh Works plastics did not have that problem.  Running over oyster bars, crab's clawing the baits, and the infamous croaker biting the tails off your plastics are not a problem.  I fished with one plastic all day.  The action is second to none.  I recommend taking a look at their site and support a American company (products made in the USA).





8-28-10
I headed out to Lynnhaven via Crab Creek looking for some reds.  The water in the system is getting better, but is still a bit murky.  I got to my "usual" spot looking to hook up.  I had a few short hits, but nothing i could do anything with.  It was a tough day of fishing, but was nice to get out none the less.  I left the water with the black and white striped kitty on my back.

8-21-10
After feeling down in the dumps about not scoring any points for the club the previous day, I hit the Old Dominion University (ODU) Reef.  The reef is man made, about a mile off shore in the Chesapeake Bay.  The weather was threatening all morning.  After realizing that I was in the clear, I paddled out.  I saw one Cobia, but was unable to make a cast.  The water was like glass, and the tide just started to ebb.  I was fishing a "Big-eyed Bucktail" flounder rig with a 5" finger mullet.  On my first pass over the reef, I nailed a 23" flounder.  It was a nice fish and a nice fight.  I was on my way to let a new TKAA member paddle my X-Factor, when I hooked up with a ribbon fish.  It was definitely a first for me.


8-20-10
I had the pleasure to fish in the 2010 Catchin for Kids Angler Club Challenge.  I was fishing with Cory Routh, and two other members from TKAA.  Fishing was slow for us, catching small sea bass, spot and blues.  Cory caught a nice little 15" flounder to make us feel a bit better.  It was a tough day, but in the end, TKAA took 5th place in the tournament (not bad for being the only club without powerboats).


No comments:

Post a Comment